Friday 6 March 2015

Neil Young & Crazy Horse tattoo

On a full moon just after my 49th birthday, I finally got around to the Neil Young & Crazy Horse tattoo that I have been thinking about for getting on 24 years. I've always loved this logo, ever since I first saw it on the Weld album and I wore a tie die shirt of it for most of the 90's. 

I have been following Ruth Rollin at Red Tattoo in Leeds for the last couple of years on Instagram and seen how her work has developed and finally decided to choose her to do my tattoo. I asked Ruth to add in a stylised Broken Arrow to add further context to Neil Young, it was an early song title and the name of his ranch in Northern California.

Have to say the whole process was made as simple as possible though the actual tattooing was getting pretty uncomfortable towards the end of the two hours, though given the amazing detail of the work it was well worth it. This will be my only tattoo and has added significance for me, given I was born on the Chinese year of the horse. It's a tribute to my favourite musicians and a personal gift to myself to mark my 50th year on the planet.






I've been a Neil Young fan since around 1986, though didn't get to see him in concert until 1993 in Paris. I have seen him 18 times since, should have been 20 but I had two concerts cancelled for illness (Neil in 2002 with flu in Brixton and Liverpool in 2013 due to Poncho's broken hand). Here a list of the gigs I have attended. 


Love And Only Love / Powderfinger / Psychedelic Pill / Walk Like A Giant / Hole In The Sky / Heart Of Gold / Blowin' In The Wind /Singer Without A Song / Ramada Inn / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Mr. Soul / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) // Roll Another Number / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere 

In case you are wondering the best Neil gig I attended was in Paris on Valentines Day in 2008 with my wife, we had front row seats for a very special gig. My favourite Crazy Horse gig was in Glasgow in 1996 with my good mate Mark Golley.

1 comment: